Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HW24: A Room of My Own

Virginia Woolfe once stated, “A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.” (Woolfe 4) I have a room in which I share with another woman, one of my best friends from High School. I only get half of the room because I’m in a dorm room. Is Virginia Woolfe telling me that I can write fiction? The place in which I write my work, is where I’m sitting right now; at my desk. On my desk there’s a postcard from Rome, phone numbers, pictures of friends, a mirror calendar, fortune cookie fortunes, a phone, and a light. This is where I write my work. “The rooms differ so completely; they are calm or thunderous; open on to the sea, or, on the contrary, give on to a prison yard; are hard as a horsehair or soft as feathers- one has only to go into any room in any street for the whole of that extremely complex force of femininity to fly in one’s face.” (Woolfe 87) My room can be described as lively, bright brilliant colors, and a wall filled with faces of people who I love the most. This is a calming place for me, and I like the way my room is set up. “There must be a freedom, and there must be a peace.” (Woolfe 104) She’s right there should be freedom, and peace.

No comments: